Our Wines at Boschendal
Our Winemaking Philosophy
Given our exceptional winemaking heritage of almost 300 years, the Boschendal cellar masters meticulously balance rustic tradition and modern innovation to produce classic, fruity wines while upholding the ecological integrity that has become synonymous with our brand.
Each wine range, including Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Shiraz, is carefully crafted to deliver ultimate drinking pleasure, with dedicated red and white winemakers in separate cellars for focused expertise. It is this attention to detail that makes us a leader in the production of Méthode Cap Classique sparkling wines and beloved brand in over 50 countries.
The cornerstones of this philosophy are accomplished by our commitment:
- To produce premium wines of unwavering exceptional quality
- To have dedicated red and white winemakers in separate cellars for focused expertise
- To place emphasis on intensity of flavour and mouth feel
- To further our special focus on Sauvignon Blanc and Shiraz varieties
- To be a leader in the production of Méthode Cap Classique sparkling wines
- To invest in oak from top coopers with judicious wood regimes for added intrigue but never overpowering
One of the many delights of wine is that one does not need to be a connoisseur to enjoy it.
Nevertheless, knowing a bit about the different grape varieties is sure to enhance every wine lover’s experience. The most common varieties include Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Shiraz.
Chardonnay is a green grape variety which is used to produce white wine. The flavour of a Chardonnay wine is highly reliant on terroir, but is typically dry and fruity.
Sauvignon Blanc is a green grape which produces a dry white wine that is invariably crisp and refreshing.
Cabernet Sauvignon is a red skinned grape variety used to make acidic, tannin-rich and notably acidic red wines.
Merlot is a black grape which produces dark, acidic red wines with intense, fruity flavours.
Shiraz is a dark red skinned grape used to make rich red wines with strong, fruity flavours.